Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The List, by Melanie Jacobson

So. I think I've established around these parts that I really love to read. Books make me happy. I like books that change my perspective, books that make me cry, books that make me feel smarter, that make me think. But not all the time. Sometimes, I like books that are fun to read - books that provide a little bit of an escape from the busyness of everyday. I like books that make me smile.


When I read The List, by my awesome blogging (and better be in real life one day) friend, Melanie Jacobson, I smiled a lot. Want proof? Here's what I wrote to Melanie via email:

...So I'm 9 chapters in. First impression? I'm totally bummed I actually have stuff to do today so I can't sit and read till I'm done. I really like Ashley... right off the bat you've created a character that is quirky and likable, with enough depth that as a reader, I want to keep learning more about her. She's just flawed enough, you know? I don't necessarily like that she's planning on "loving and leaving", (Not a spoiler, in case you think I just ruined it for you. That much is in the book description. I even checked to make sure.) cause that's a little shallow, but I like her anyway. SHE isn't shallow, even if her intentions are. I think it's good writing to be able to create multidimensional characters like that. And Matt? He's the hottest guy I've ever known. Just so you know. (Naturally, my husband is really the hottest guy I have ever known. But this guy's pretty close.) A perfect combination of confidence and humility. I'm not sure how that's possible, but I'm sure you know what I mean. Since you made him up, and all. Your characterizations are really, really great.

You're writing also has a great flow to it. One of the things that turns me away from a book faster than anything is writing that distracts me from the actual story, whether from poor sentence structure or stilted dialog, or just an indefinable awkwardness. But I've fallen right into pace with your book. 


Do you know what it feels like? It feels like dessert. It isn't life sustaining, isn't necessary, but it's delicious just the same.

So. That was my response 9 chapters in. And I wasn't disappointed once I finished. This is definitely a dessert book - a Spring Break read on the beach book. Melanie's writing is fresh and funny and thoroughly entertaining. 

And guess what? Right now, you can win a copy over on Melanie's blog. Just click on the link below and give her some comment love and you're entered to win. 


If you are unlucky in blog contests and never, ever win, you can buy your own copy from Deseret Book by clicking on this link:


Finally, if you'd like to read the first chapter of Melanie's book, you can visit her website (different than her blog) by clicking on this link: 


So get clicking, people. 

No comments over here today... better for you to click and leave comments to win or buy or read the book, yes? Though, if you didn't see my post from yesterday, you can absolutely leave a comment here on that post. Can I say one more yay just for fun? YAY!