Sunday, April 3, 2011

It's Cookie Day! Chocolate Chip Cookies (With a little Peanut Butter)

I can't bring myself to call these cookies Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip. Because calling them that implies that the peanut butter plays a major role in the taste of these cookies. And it absolutely doesn't. The peanut butter is subtle enough that if no one sees you make them, people might not even realize the PB is present in the first place. I'm not sure I will EVER make chocolate chip cookies without peanut butter again. Unless you are allergic to peanut butter, and I know you're coming over. Then I'll make different cookies. I'm nice like that. If you are NOT allergic to peanut butter, try these cookies. Try them today. Right now, even! You know you want a cookie...

Chocolate Chip Cookies (With a little Peanut Butter)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped semisweet chocolate


Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the corn syrup, water, and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the peanut butter mixture. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop, by heaping spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 12 minutes (Watch closely and don't over bake!) in a preheated oven, or until edges are golden. Allow cookies to cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheet before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

This recipe was originally found on All Recipes... but it was proven in my kitchen. 

*********

While I've got your attention and we've all got cookies on the brain, let's talk Vanilla. It is my heartfelt opinion that there is no room in any kitchen for Imitation Vanilla. When you buy real vanilla in 2 ounce containers from the grocery store, it's ridiculously expensive. So I use this instead (and also because it is SO good. Not good as in, I drink it from the bottle, but you know. Good in cookies, and stuff.):

Watkins Vanilla... Double Strength. They say that means you can use half as much, but I never do. I use whatever the recipe calls for, or more, and enjoy the awesomeness that then results. $13.99 for 11 ounces is a pretty good deal. You can buy it here: Watkins Original Double Strength Vanilla.

(Not telling you for any other reason than cause I use it and love it. That's all.)