Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Nesting

It isn't just an old wives tale. I really truly believe there is something that takes over your body in the last few weeks of pregnancy and gives you the motivation to find energy somewhere, even if just in your big toe so you can do ridiculous things like shampoo your carpet and clean the sticky out of the cup holders in the back of your minivan.

It doesn't technically make sense. It will be months before my baby ever comes in contact with the carpet in the playroom upstairs, at least a year before he has anything to do with the cup holders in the van. And yet, somehow it feels wrong to think about bringing home something new and clean and perfect to a house that isn't.  It isn't just about the baby though. I do things also because I know that once baby is born, it will be months before I think about doing them again. Best to get them out of the way while I can.

Just two weeks now. Generally, all is ready. The car seat needs to be installed and a few more meals need to be stashed in my freezer. I'm cooking double all this week, feeding the family and filling the freezer at the same time. Baby boy is active as ever, bruising my ribs and reminding me that no matter how claustrophobic I feel, in a body that doesn't let me do as much as I generally do, he's feeling pretty squashed too. At least I know we are in it together. Me, and this baby we've called Charlie the entire pregnancy, only for him to have a massive identity crisis in the last few weeks. I don't know who he is now. I'm hoping he'll be born with a name tag. On our way out of the grocery store today, Henry suggested that we each just call the baby whatever name we like best until he gets old enough to choose his favorite. Then he can pick his own name. Practical solution, no?

Whatever his name, the entire family is anxiously awaiting his arrival. But probably me the most.

********
Thanks to all who entered the Kristian Regale giveaway. The winner, selected by Rafflecopter with the help of the lovely random.org, was Jennifer H. Jennifer, I've sent you an email. The quicker you respond, the quicker you'll get your prize!