This morning, my older children all woke up to find a note from their Dad tucked into their shoe, or into the pocket of their shorts. Through the course of the morning, they all brought me their notes, a shy pride evident as they passed it to me so I could read it as well. Each note was specific, encouraging, and full of a father's love. After the kids were off to school, I gathered up the notes and put them in a safe place. I still have notes my father wrote to me when I was a child. It means just as much to read them now as it did then.
We live in a treacherously frightening world. There are evils and dangers lurking in so many dark and dusty corners, willing and waiting to trap our children, it's a wonder any of us ever let our kids leave our living rooms in the first place. But leave, they must. Our only hope is to arm them with what they need in order to stand in holy places, no matter where they are, no matter what is lurking in the corners.
I didn't know my husband was planning on writing notes for each of the children. I must have been long asleep when he took the time to do so. But I know when I watched my daughter's face this morning as she read her note, that the love she receives from her Dad fills up a part of her that will help arm her for whatever the world may bring. To be validated and loved, unconditionally, and for no particular reason beyond simply being who you are is an incredible thing. To know that no matter what happens at school, no matter what friends or peers think or do or say, home is a place where you are loved and cherished and appreciated for exactly who you are--what could possibly feel better than that? Our house is far from perfect, our parenting frequently falling short of the mark. But I do know that our goal is to have a home where my children feel safe, where they feel absolutely, unequivocally loved. We may not do everything right. But I think we can do that. Or at least, we can try.
Today, I'm particularly grateful that while I may, in the last days of my pregnancy, be short tempered and cranky, my lap woefully small when it comes time to snuggle, my husband is aware of our children's needs and is reaching out to them, seeing them for who they are, recognizing what they need.
And also, he left me a love note too. I know he loves his kids, but dude. I am so totally his favorite.
********
Just picked a winner for the book giveaway. The winner is Keisha C. Congrats, Keisha!