Sunday, November 4, 2012

One Random Sunday

After church on Sunday I decided to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. I had two small pumpkins sitting on the front porch and since I've never tried to make a pie using fresh pumpkin, and it was perfectly cool and crisp and feeling like fall, I figured today was the day to try. I did, and it was awesomely delicious. Want to know the best part? The cinnamon spiced whipped cream we put on top. (heavy cream, powdered sugar, cinnamon. YUM.)

While I baked the pie, the boys played a board game in the living room, the girls watched The Little Mermaid in the basement, and Josh sat on a bar stool in the kitchen, reading a book and keeping me company. Everyone piled around the bar when the pie was done and we all ate pie and drank apple cider, except Ivy who decided she didn't want pie. She'd have a hot dog instead. A most appropriate two year old thing to do, yes?

It was an ordinary day of the most ordinary sort. There were moments of loud and moments of funny and moments of chaos. But mostly, everything was just normal. And I loved every single second of it.

At one point Lucy asked if I thought she'd remember this day when she was all grown up. Of course, she probably won't. At least not specifically. But I hope she'll remember that home was a happy place, even when it was perfectly ordinary.

Because her question put me in the mood to do so, I grabbed my camera and captured us all, just as we were on this random Sunday in November.
Truly, this is the happiest baby ever. All smiles, all the time.
More smiles. Man, I love this baby.
Oddly enough, this picture was taken just moments after a full on two year old mind blowing meltdown. It's like she has a little switch she can turn on and off...
We generally have a no TV rule on Sundays. Unless your 2 and are having a massive big meltdown and Mommy is tired and decides you can watch one episode of My Big, Big Friend, which your brothers will find thoroughly captivating even though on any other day of the week, they would never admit to finding it interesting. 
See what I mean? Thoroughly captivated.
I don't know what she's so excited about. I'd just taken a video of her telling me about her first basketball game, which her team won. Maybe she's still celebrating?
It's pretty much guaranteed that Sunday afternoon, Jordan will be sitting in the living room reading a book. He's predictable like that.
This is me making an effort to not always be behind the camera. Because Mom is a part of the family too.
And finally, my baby sucks on his middle fingers all the time. And I love it oh, so stinkin much. It makes me feel like he's telling me he loves me all the time.