Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Giving Thanks

I probably won't post again before Thursday because this year, for the first time ever, I get to play host at Thanksgiving. My parents and my little brother are coming to my house for our Thanksgiving meal. It's really a miracle that my mother decided she could sacrifice and not have us all at her house this year... but since the rest of my extended family are all dining elsewhere, I thought it make sense that my house (the one where my four kids live, and thus will have a much easier time waiting out the day while I cook with their own toys and activities) would be the perfect location. I'm not sure she is so convinced... but she's coming. AND she's bringing the turkey. I can't decide if I am terribly relieved that I don't have to do the turkey, or totally ashamed that I am having everyone over for Thanksgiving, and not providing the turkey. I mean, who issues Thanksgiving invitations that say, "Please come over for a wonderful turkey dinner. Mashed Potatoes provided. Please bring your own turkey." I am so lame.

So what am I grateful for this year? Oh so very much. I am most supremely grateful for my wonderful family. Every single night when I go to bed I am overwhelmed by how blessed I feel to have such a fun family. My kids, my husband... they are the very best... and they are mine. Can't even find the words to express the depth of how that makes me feel.

I am grateful that the spec house that my husband built, that has been sitting vacant for nine months finally sold. The housing market has been really bad lately, and when your occupation is building homes.... it's a little scary. But we have been fortunate and have managed... for that I am grateful.

I am grateful for my faith. In a world that is sometimes, or all the time scary, it's nice to feel anchored.

I am grateful for the cold weather and the beauty of the changing seasons. I LOVE the cold weather.

I am grateful for good books and really good spiced cider, especially when the two are enjoyed together.

I am grateful for all of my wonderful friends... including so many of you.

I am grateful for my sister. After my husband, she is my rock. She stays at home with three little boys... we talk, oh, at least three times a day. Sometimes about nothing, sometimes about everything. When I need to vent, she listens. When I need to cry, she listens. When I am being an idiot, she tells me. And it doesn't make me mad.

I am grateful for my Mom. And not just because she is bringing the turkey. Because she taught me everything I know about being a Mom.

I am grateful for the men in my life. My husband (could write a book here, but won't. Suffice it to say, I love him. a bunch.), my Dad, and my brothers. Wonderful, wonderful. And my father in law... last time my in laws came to visit for Sam and Lucy's birthday, my father in law brought ME flowers and Godiva chocolate. He said that I did all the work on their birthday, so I deserved something too. I didn't share my chocolate AT ALL!! He's awesome.

I am grateful for Puggle puppies... because one day, I will have one. When life isn't so crazy, and Josh decides I'm not crazy for wanting one. It's the cross between a beagle and and a pug. Very cute.

I'm grateful for Clay Aiken and his music... call me silly, but I can't make a list of what I'm thankful for without mentioning him. Have you seen him in concert? No? Well then, that's why you don't understand.

I am grateful that after Thanksgiving, come Christmas... and that is the my favorite time of year.

I am grateful for Coca-Cola.

I hope that all of you have a wonderful, joy filled Thanksgiving!!