Thursday, November 15, 2007

Surprise... Surprise

So, my husband has this convoluted idea about Christmas that all presents should be surprises. You know, that classic question, "What do you want for Christmas?" His answer, "I want to be surprised. Just get me something you know I like."

This makes me want to completely scream, or absolutely buy no presents at all. I will get him NOTHING for Christmas. Do you think that will be surprise enough?! Do you know how hard it is to pick out presents for someone that gives you no hints... nothing, not even a general area of interest? Maybe it's just that I am really not good at brainstorming wonderful creative gifts that turn out to be exactly what the person wanted. (how do some people do that?)

The other side of my husbands Christmas giving opinions, is that he also wants to completely surprise me. Perhaps I shouldn't complain about that... he is actually exceptionally talented at picking out amazing and wonderful, not too useful (Oh, look. A new iron.), but also not too frivolous gifts. BUT, if he surprises me, how am I supposed to get the things that I really want, but can't justify buying for myself? I've tried leaving hints... catalogs open with big red arrows pointing to what I want, web pages bookmarked with the title "ideas for Christmas", but he sees right through my subtle hints. He ignores my suggestions and plans to surprise me completely. Yay.