Sunday, November 4, 2007

What a weekend...

This weekend I went to a Women's Conference organized by my church. We had an invited speaker, which was a big deal out here on the east coast because our speaker traveled all the way from Utah to be with us. Our guest speaker was the author of this book,




Virginia, H. Pearce, who also happens to be the daughter of the beloved Prophet and President of my church, Gordon B. Hinckley. The conference was wonderful. If you haven't read the book, you should. And then read it again. It has changed so much about my attitude about life and service. My Mom is the current Relief Society President for our stake (that's the women's organization that put on the conference for the women in this region... if you aren't following my Mormon lingo) and so Sister Pearce stayed with her, rather than staying in a hotel. So, it was really a wonderful opportunity to go and after the conference, spend a little time visiting with her in my parents home. She is such a pleasant and wonderful person... the type of person that instantly makes you love her, and love yourself because you are you and that makes you special.

She spoke about the importance of encouraging and nourishing those around us. It doesn't mean we have to fix casseroles for our neighbors or clean someone elses house, we just have to be encouraging and supportive to everyone... with an open heart. She is really good at that. Just from being in her presence, I felt motivated to do more, and be better, and work on my own open heart. Just for the record, She was also totally hilarious and gave us the impression that her father is similar in character.

On a totally different subject... I gave Henry his first haircut. I know I said I wasn't going to do it, but do you know how many times people thought he was a girl this weekend? So he has a nice boy haircut now... and I must say looks quite adorable with it. He doesn't have his curls anymore... but he looks so grown up! What do you think?






(you can see a before picture here.)