Tuesday, October 14, 2008

So... are ya havin more kids?

I'm not trying to start something. I think there really are legitimate times to ask this question. You know, when you're talking to good friends who you are really comfortable with. Or your obstetrician. Or your spouse. But strangers?

The next time someone asks me, I'm going to say, "Um, yes. We actually tried just a few minutes ago. Would you like to see the charts I use to keep track of my ovulation and fertility?"

I think people mean well. They just don't turn on their "is this a proper question for this woman who is a complete stranger?" filter. I wrote about my favorite version of this question, "Haven't you figured out what causes that yet?" here: "Oh the nerve."

Its like pregnant bellies. To have a baby in your belly means that some strangers feel compelled to touch your stomach. Why is my baby carrying belly more public than my left over from baby squishy belly? I don't see any strangers trying to touch that! I know. Something compelling about there being a baby inside and all that... but we are talking about strangers here... in the grocery store, the mall...

So, what questions or 'stranger' behaviors irk you?