15 years ago, my husband, long before he met me, put on his sweats and his headphones and ran down town to the recruiters office, where he signed up to serve in the United States Army. He served for three years, and though his service in the armed forces was during a time of peace, I'm grateful that he, and so many others, past and present were and still are willing to put their lives on the line, and fight to protect this country.
I'm grateful for those Patriots that fought valiantly for the establishment of this nation, for those that fought for humanity and civil rights, for those that fought to defend freedoms and preserve peace. I'm grateful for the families... for the spouses and children, the mothers and fathers that say goodbye to their husbands or wives, fathers, and sons and turn them over to God's protection, knowing full well that lives will be lost. That is courage.
Today I will enjoy my kids being home from school. I'll enjoy the beautiful fall weather. I will enjoy the ideas and excitement that come with the approaching holidays. And I will take a moment to kiss my husband and thank him for his service... and though I won't kiss all the other veterans I know, I will say a prayer of thankfulness for them, and for all those currently serving.
This tribute isn't mine, but it's worth sharing just the same. Take 5 minutes, and watch: