Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A word to strangers.

Okay.. I'm gonna vent... because when people frustrated me in person today I was calm and polite and not even a little bit rude. I'm thinking this will make me feel better. So get ready for it...

Here's the thing.

I willingly, intentionally, because I wanted to, had four children. I know how much work it requires. I know that they cost money and time and patience.. but it's my time, and my money, and my patience. Not yours.

Which is why, when you are around my children for five minutes when I come in to your store to give you my money, I wish you wouldn't disdainfully act like I, and my pack of children, are a curse upon your calm and simple existence.

Five cans of cat food moved off the shelf is not a "disaster." I pick up messes twelve times that size in thirty seconds or less. I'm not saying Henry doesn't create disasters. He does. All the time... but generally not in public. AND, I would have fixed your cat food. (seriously... this was a pet supplies store... people bring their dogs inside. I shouldn't bring my children?) If you hadn't so obviously wished I was not in your store any longer. AND, just for the record, my children were very well behaved while we were in your store... I won't pat myself on the back for it, but I will pat them on the back... they listened, they didn't break anything, and they didn't yell or scream at all. Just because there are four of them does NOT mean they are an automatic nuisance.

Sigh.

Josh and I went out to dinner the other night at a restaurant that is notoriously known for NOT liking children. They do not have a children's menu... I'm not even sure they have high chairs. It's worth noting that this particular restaurant isn't a fine dining experience... it's casual, and at first glance does not give the impression that children wouldn't be welcome, but...

they. are. not. welcome.

(This probably ought to be reason enough for me to never go again... but the food is really, really exceptional. Just because the owner is an old fuddy duddy who dislikes the family scene, he makes a mean Eggplant Napoleon, so... I can't bring myself to boycott all together).

At any rate, this particular evening, we were dining alone, children left with a babysitter. As two servers walked in to the kitchen, I overheard one say to the other, "So sorry you have to be working the daycare center..." She was referring to a table that included several children.. older children, mind you, that can feed themselves and easily make it through a meal without screaming or crying or throwing anything on the floor.

Why the bad attitude? Do public servants, waitstaff, store owners, whatever, not have some obligation to serve the youngest of our population as well? Seriously, when you're home, and you have control of what goes on around you, snub children all you want. Choose not to have them. Live on a street where they don't play. But please, don't expect those of us that DO have children to live in a box and never, ever come out for air because it inconveniences you.

Trust me. It's hard enough to stay motivated and upbeat and optimistically capable without the judgment and disdain of others.

And one more thing... if you even took five seconds to get to know my children instead of looking at them as dirty little mess makers, you'd realize how much fun they actually are.

So there.