I've learned this week that I touch my face a lot. Or I must... because that's where most of the poison ivy ended up. We moved in to our house in December and for the past few months, have enjoyed the beauty and landscape of our yard... a delightful combination of muddy red clay, and pine straw. But with warmer weather fast approaching, we decided it was time to get to work. And work we did. We laid a flagstone walkway, planted shrubs, planted flowers, and probably the most daunting task of all... we prepped our yard for grass seed. Now... it's not like nothing ever grew on this mountain before we up and put a house on it... the ground was FULL of roots and vines and rocks that we had pull up and push aside.
I'm all about the little saying... "leaves of three, let them be." But those stupid roots running under the ground didn't have any leaves on them. OH, how they are just as toxic! Josh and I both have it, though I think I'm a little worse for wear. The insides of both my arms, my jawline, my cheeks... I be itchin.
The yard looks great though... and in two weeks time, we should have grass. So yay for that.
In other news... puppy is potty trained! Yay!! Did I already post that once before? It's for real this time. Just in time for me to start thinking about getting Henry ready. He's got to talk first though, before I start sticking him on the pot...
So, I'm currently the young women's president at church... I'm basically in charge of the girls, ages 12-18. Teach them on Sundays, and meet with them every Wednesday night. Our last activity, I took them, and the young men as well, to the nursing home that I visit on occasion. We went and sang a few songs, and then visited with everyone. We met one woman named Elzie... who was 100 years old, and Revia, my personal friend who was thrilled to receive a hug from each of the youth. One young man, Matthew gave her a hug, and she looked up and said, "OH boy! Now I've got something to talk about!" She leaned back in her chair and pointed her finger at Matthew. "You need to bring me a picture!!" It was so very sweet, and wonderful to see that the youth were touched as well.
Sometimes being old isn't fun... one woman in the corner of the dining room choked and gagged on nearly every bite of food she took. The noise was awful, painful and heart wrenching to hear... a nurse sat patiently with her, feeding her each bite. I only know the woman's name was Mary. But I bet sometime in her life, Mary had children that she fed, bite for bite... that she took care of. I hope she's adequately taken care of now that she is the one in need. One of my young women sent me a text message later that night asking if she could come with me to visit every time that I go. See, teenagers aren't all that bad. :)