Last night, as is customary, I said goodnight to my husband and settled in to the couch for a late night writing workshop. Just me, the laptop, and the dog, who dutifully keeps me company until the words dry up in a fog of exhaustion and I stumble off to bed.
Now, my house is not generally, spotless. But I do keep it clean. Clean enough that I get very concerned when one side of the couch seems to emit an awful blast of stink every time I change positions. As the hour grew later, the smell seemed to grow worse... I thought maybe it was me. It wasn't. I looked around me, looked on the floor, sniffed the dog... nothing was standing out as an identifiable source of stink. I resolved myself to spending the entire next day scrubbing and sanitizing and fabric fabreezing the entire sofa... just before I found my shoes hidden under a cushion - stuck there on purpose to keep the dog from chewing them in to pieces.
What a relief to know that it wasn't the couch that stunk... just my thoroughly stinkified shoes. I was all alone in my living room. And I was still totally embarrassed. I don't think the dog will tell anyone.
In other news, Henry has taken to calling everyone in the house when he can't find them.. he doesn't use names though. He calls "UHHHH-UHHHH" in this delightfully adorable sing songy voice. Though it took me a while to figure it out, you can actually get a pretty good idea who he's calling by the length and number of UHHH's that he uses. See, it matches the number of syllables in the name of the person he's calling. So, if he wants to know where Sam is, he calls, "UHHHH!" But Lucy is "UH-UHHH!!!" And Franz Ferdinand is "UH-UHH-UH-UHHH!"
Okay. I'm kidding. We don't really have anyone around here named Franz Ferdinand. But if we did, Henry would totally call him with a four syllable UH. I should try and get it on video, because really. It's the cutest thing ever. Almost as cute as the "I'm cheesin' it" smile he's dishing out every time he sees the camera pointing, even remotely, in his direction. Or the knee slapping belly laugh he throws in to the mix every time his older brothers and sister are laughing at something, though 90% of the time, Henry has NO idea what's so funny.
I am so seriously in love with the boy. I don't even think he cares that my feet smell so bad. :)