So, I'm all about people who aren't rude. There is a girl that works in the check out line at my grocery store, she is ALWAYS super nice. She smiles, and she asks how I'm doing, and asks about the kids. And she has super cute hair. That doesn't have anything to do with being nice. But it IS cute.
I like people like that. People that take their customer service oriented jobs seriously.
But then there are people who for some reason or another, are NOT big into customer service. Like the pet store owner that I talked about here. Or the extremely helpful man that dish network sent out to my house to evaluate my lost satellite signal. First of all, he was supposed to arrive in between 8 and 12. So I didn't go anywhere. I waited, and waited, and waited, until 5:30, when he finally showed up. It was late. He was obviously tired. He stood in my yard for five minutes, then knocked on my door and said,
"You need to cut down that there tree."
Um, you mean my gloriously beautiful, shading my entire front porch poplar tree? Dude. How 'bout I just get rid of the TV?
"Could we move the dish over so as to avoid my lovely tree?" I asked.
"Nope. It'll have to come down if you're gonna watch tv. Sign here please."
"Um," (trying really hard not to be rude, cause you know, I don't actually work for the satellite company, but I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to the basic logistics of things, and think it might be a good idea to, I don't know, climb on the roof to get a better idea of how things stand) "do you want to just climb up and double check? Cutting down that tree is kind of a big deal."
The passion just poured forth as he said, "I can tell from here. You'll have to cut down THAT THERE TREE."
I signed his stupid form.
Then I called dish network and asked for someone perhaps a little bit more motivated about helping me out to come and move my satellite. They sent someone. It took ten minutes. My TV works now. AND I still have my tree.
Just a few moments ago, I called a different company to ask a simple question. Now, I understand that sometimes I talk too much. I'm the kind of person that can't just ask a question. I provide back story as to why I want to know the answer. And maybe I talk about the weather. And the color of my toenail polish. What can I say. I don't really know how to turn myself off. But that doesn't mean you have to CUT me off, in mid-sentence, and then condescendingly say, "Okay then, sweetheart! Glad I could help!"
I am not your sweetheart. Calling me that is just annoying. Some people, people that are brim full of southern goodness and are nice to everyone can get away with calling people sweetheart. But not people that interrupt. That's just rude.
Now, generally I don't like to make fun of people. Maybe Mr. Dish Network was having a horrible day, and really needed to get home to his sick wife. Maybe Madam sweetheart had just had an eternally long conversation with someone else that used up her entire measure of patience for the next three years. If that's the case, well then. Forget I wrote this post. I hope your day gets better, total strangers.
But maybe... sometimes people are rude for no good reason at all. And that's just really stinky. Lucky I have a blog to vent about it, cause venting to the wide world webs makes everything amazingly better in no time at all. See, I'm done now, and I already feel better.