So, I'm not generally a gullible person. I mean, there are three families in Nigeria that I fully support and an exchange student in Siberia that I'm hoping to bring to the United States... but those are totally real situations.
Really. They are.
But.
The IPad Beta testing email that is spreading through Gmail and other email providers like a forest fire on a windy day? It IS a scam. Here's what I can tell you for sure...
An email will come to your inbox, claiming to be from a name you recognize, most likely one of your email contacts. It will look professional, and will take you to a website, www.btincgroup.com where you will be asked to sign up to be one of 5000 beta testers for the Apple IPad.
Sounds like a great opportunity, right?
The IPad, now in regular distribution is far past the need for beta testing. The entire thing is a ploy to get into your email accounts and spam all your friends. Those most gullible, or most desperate for an IPad, if they continue through the multi-step sign up process, will be asked to complete at least 8 sponsor offers in order to qualify for the IPad... blah, blah, blah... The only thing that's legit about it is how quickly you will regret sending potentially hazardous junk mail to all your contacts.
Times like this I hate the internet.
So, why the blog warning? Don't even OPEN the email. Viruses can easily attach themselves to these things... viruses that will start a disco party in your contact list, sending itself to every single person you have ever sent an email to in your entire life. Old boyfriends, old bosses, current bosses, newspaper editors you submitted an article to three years ago. They will all get a fancy little spam letter. If you do open it, for all that is good and holy, don't give em the password to your email!
(If it's too late, cause seriously, who wouldn't be tempted by an IPad? Go change your email password. RIGHT. NOW.)
I received this thing four different times today, and feel certain that many of you received it from me. So very sorry. I just really wanted my Siberian Exchange student to have an IPad...