They tumbled out of the car, ice cream cones in hand and raced down the hill to the playground. When sticky fingers were licked clean, the games began. Freeze tag, up and down the slide, on the swings, then off again.
Up above, under sprawling branches, we watched them play, smiling as their laughter wound its way up the hill. The sun set behind the trees and a cool night breeze ruffled the leaves and the wisps of hair falling out of my ponytail.
Later, we joined them, kicking off our shoes and racing through the grass until the darkness nearly swallowed us all. Our laughter joined with theirs as we darted here and there, just out of reach, then intentionally into each others arms.
Drinking life.
*********
Just past midnight, I settled onto the couch, just me, and the baby. I hushed her hungry cries, stroking her cheek, and reveled in the divine harmony of mother and child. It's magical, really, this life giving. For a brief moment, her eyes looked into mine - tired, but bright, and our souls spoke, forging our connection just a little tighter than before.
Together, she and me. Drinking life.
**********
I live for them, these moments. When the heavens open up and I catch little glimpses of the bigger picture, the bigger purpose of all this that we do. Not always extraordinary, but profound in the impression they give, the imprints they leave on my heart. Would that I am never too busy, too plugged into the mundane, the unnecessary, to breathe, to revel, to drink of this, my life.