Monday, August 16, 2010

My kids think I'm Awesome

This afternoon, I went downstairs to run on the treadmill. I hate running on the treadmill, but with five kids at home, including a baby that wakes me up once or twice a night, an afternoon run in the basement is sometimes the best I can do. My typical run is 3.1 miles - a 5K. I've been working on improving my time, and today, with about a half mile left, was set to finish about 45 seconds faster than my last best time. I was stoked.

And I was HURTING.

My kids, hearing me groan, came downstairs to cheer me on. And they DID cheer me on. It was adorable and totally inspiring to have my own fan section. When I finished, they asked me if I wanted some water. I nodded my head and they raced up the stairs to get it ready for me. They proudly brought me the biggest ball jar in our cabinet, filled to the brim with ice cold water.

And then it occurred to me. These little people think I am awesome. It's what we all want, isn't it? To have people think we're awesome? We spend time working to impress, blogging to impress, singing, performing, whatever-ing so people will notice us, and think highly of us. But, do we think, as often, of impressing our children? Do we focus on increasing their opinion of us? They will, after all, be the people who are with us the longest. When we are old and gray and in need of assistance, I'm pretty certain it won't be a fellow blogger that tends to our needs.

Who the stink needs blog followers? I've got my own personal set right here. They give me kisses and hugs and big glasses of water when I'm thirsty. AND they think I'm awesome. No matter what I say on my blog.