Okay, so here's the deal. I don't like playing the comment game. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It isn't about the numbers. It isn't a competition. My worth is not directly related to the number of comments received after a post. I will not leave a meaningless fluffy comment on a blog I don't actually enjoy because I think it might lead them back to my blog where they will then leave me a comment. My life is far too busy for such nonsense. I read blogs that I enjoy. I comment when I have something to say. Sometimes, I don't comment even though I enjoy what I've read. Maybe I'm too busy, or maybe I don't think I have anything meaningful to add, or maybe I'm reading from my smart phone and it's just a hair too inconvenient to go through the process of commenting using a virtual keyboard.
But I like comments. I like knowing that people are reading, that they appreciate what I've written. I don't blog for comments alone. I blog because I like to write. But I can't say I'd keep it up if I never received any indication that people were reading. Words are written to be read, yes?
So have smartphones killed blog comments? I'm curious how you all feel. What makes you comment, or not comment? If you lurk, do you ever feel compelled to jump in the conversation? What keeps you from doing so? (Not on my blog specifically, just in general.) Speak up, would you? Inquiring minds want to know.
Also, if you missed my post last Friday, I'm having an awesome giveaway for a beaded watch set. You can check it out here.
Chunky Bling Giveaway: Beaded Watch Set
(And since comment numbers are so very low, odds of winning are pretty good!)