Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dear Florida,

From the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry. You didn't deserve my hatred, see? I never had a kind word to say about you. The heat. The bugs. And the traffic. SO MUCH TRAFFIC. Turns out, I was just visiting you at the wrong time of year. Florida in August? Not so much fun. But Florida at the end of April? You are lovely - marvelous and wonderful and exactly what my family needed.

Sincerely,
Home but still travel weary, Jenny

PS. Yes, I love you. But no matter your lovely humidity-free spring weather and your lack of traffic and crowds while we were visiting, I still don't love your drinking water. Of all the things I missed, (my dog, my bed, towels for normal sized humans) I missed my straight from the mountain, doesn't need to be filtered, tastes better than anything you could ever drink from a bottle, well water the most. Living in Western North Carolina, buying bottled water always seems a little silly. Because most people have well water which means that water straight out of the tap tastes really wonderful. But buying water in Florida? Makes TOTAL sense.

**********
So I'm home. We had a marvelous time. I have pictures, SO many pictures that I would love to share, but I can't find the cord that connects my camera to my computer so for now, I can't share nothin'. I'm sure it's here somewhere, but my house is suffering from a severe case of post vacation stress disorder and nothing is where it belongs. There are UNO cards on the floor of my kitchen, a tackle box snuggled into the cushions of my couch, and a soup pot full of Legos and bouncy balls on the counter. I have no idea how these things happen. But mess, or no mess, I'm happy to be home. 


What else happened while I was vacationing and my blog was sleeping? Henry turned 4, Jordan turned 10 (Holy old child... double digits!) And, AND, AND... I turned 30. (Yes, yes, I know. I was ridiculously young when Jordan was born.) Generally speaking, I think 30 feels pretty good. Except for my feet. They feel 75, which does NOT feel good. But we're not talking about feet. We're talking about turning thirty. Two other fabulous blogging (at the beginning of April) friends (and in June) are also thirty this year which just goes to show that 1981 was one rocking good year.


So pictures coming soon, and mothering thoughts and writing thoughts coming soon too. How are you? Naturally so, my blog reading diminished quite a bit while we were away. While I did catch a post about Annie's attempts to wean her razor toothed baby, and I happened to see that my writing/blogging friend Annette Lyon won the Best General Fiction Whitney Award for her novel Band of Sisters (Wahoo!) I pretty much missed everything else. What's going on in your corner of the blog world?