Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Kid Speak

Yesterday Henry was standing in the middle of the living room holding onto his little boy parts like he was worried they were about to fall off.

"Henry?" I asked. "Do you need to go to the bathroom?"

"Nope," he responded.

"Then why are you holding onto your parts?"

"Just for fun," he replied.

Okay then. Just for fun.

********

My sister-in-law Melanie was explaining to her 4 year old son, Eli, that I was pregnant and would soon be having another baby.

His reply?

"Well, whose baby is it?!"

I swear there is actually no justifiable reason to doubt the paternity of this baby. Promise.

********

I called a different nephew to wish him a happy birthday last week. He dutifully got on the phone and responded politely when I told him I loved him and that I hoped his birthday was a good one. After a slight, fraction of a second pause in our conversation, I heard him say, "Mommy, do I have to say anything else?"

********

Yesterday, Henry and I were discussing our plans for the following day. I told him that our friend, Joy, was going to come and stay with him for a few hours in the afternoon. Henry kept asking if I would tell Joy to bring doggy bag with her. I asked for clarification. Doggy bag?

"Doggy bag," Henry replied.

Then it dawned on me. Joy's husband, a fill in Grandpa for many kids at church once came with Joy and played with Henry. The kids all call him Poppy Doug.

"Henry," I said. "Do you want Poppy Doug to come with Joy?"

Henry's eyes lit up. "YES!" he exclaimed.

Poppy Doug. Doggy Bag.

It's an honest mistake.