I received a baby quilt in the mail yesterday from Erica, an old friend that I haven't seen in years. It's a beautiful quilt, and a thoughtful gesture that means a great deal to me. As I read the note, I smiled because even after all this time, Erica's crazy handwriting seemed familiar. That's the funny thing about friendships forged in childhood. Years of time and space and life can separate you, but in the end, you still have those moments that link you together, the experiences of youth that you can't forget because in some way they helped define the person you were working to grow into.
I will never forget going to Erica's home to feed her hamster while her family vacationed, and much to my horror, finding the cage utterly and completely empty. My mother and sister and I crawled around the lower level of her house for well over an hour searching for that stupid little thing. I remember feeling so completely heartbroken because I knew how much she loved her animals. How could I tell her her hamster was gone? And under my watch? We found the little escape artist in the darkened corner of the hall closet. I'd never been so glad to see a scurrying ball of fur.
It was at Erica's house that I watched and danced to hours of Billy Joel music videos. To this very day, I cannot hear Piano Man or Uptown Girl without thinking of her. It was in her living room that, in the 5th grade,we watched parts of Dirty Dancing before yanking the tape out of the VCR and hiding it under a couch cushion moments before her mother entered the room. Friendship strengthened through disobedience is sure to stand the test of time, yes?
There are many friends from my youth that I don't keep up with very well. The reality of life is that we grow up and start lives that take us in different directions--that lead us to new places and new friends. We experience events in life that seem far more significant than how we spent our summer afternoons in 1989. Even still, there is something to be said for those friendships formed in youth; a certain mysterious quality to the relationships that exist with people that knew you before you really knew yourself. Our friendships leave imprints on our identity that even years later are still there--still a part of who we are. For that, I'm glad.
![]() |
| Of course, these guys were my very best friends. Even when I hated their guts, they were still my favorite. From the left, Me, Jared, Ehren, and Emily |
![]() |
| Another OM picture, this time in 8th grade with our 1st place trophies. That's me in the middle. Would that my legs had remained that skinny... |
![]() |
| Ah, the prom. In all it's terrible awful wonderfulness. |
![]() |
| And finally, this. It doesn't have to do with friends. But I kinda thought a perm as bad as this one deserved to be shared. 2nd grade wasn't such a good year for me. Thanks Mom. |











